Wednesday, June 8, 2005

pot kettle black?

I've come to accept recently that I'm the pedestrian equivalent of a Boston driver. I'm getting even worse now that summer is upon us and every sidewalk, corridor and byway in the city is filled with tourists, just-graduated college kids with nowhere in particular to be and other slow-moving types. I try to deal with the situation by doing my best taxicab impression: weaving in and out, crowding people on the sidewalk (i.e., "tailgating") until there's room to pass, and motoring past anyone unfortunate enough to be heading in the same direction. I'm a naturally fast walker, and while I realize that it's not these poor people's faults that I'm generally running late to boot, I think it's my right to be able to move unimpeded towards my destination at whatever speed I so desire. And day after day I encounter the same thing: people who inexplicably stop in the middle of the sidewalk (or worse, the stairs); gaggles of friends walking three or four across at excruciatingly slow speeds; perambulators, shamblers, shufflers and moseyers of all stripes GETTING IN MY WAY. I wish I could institute a slow-moving pedestrian lane. The only thing worse than slowpokes is the bicycle couriers who have cut a significant amount of time off my life (due to shock-induced heart palpitations), and on many occasions come thisclose to ending it (or so it seems from my perspective), by rounding a corner or speeding through a crosswalk - ALWAYS against the light, and often against the flow of traffic - when I have the misfortune to be passing by. This morning on my way to a doctor's appointment I was almost gunned down by someone making a sharp right onto Boylston through the crosswalk several seconds after the "walk" sign came on to indicate that it was safe to cross (how dumb of me - I should know by now to never blindly accept what the traffic sign tells me without doing a courier check first). ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!

No comments:

Post a Comment