Monday, November 28, 2005

dedicated to anonymous

The other day (I know what you're thinking: how come I never get around to writing about stuff on the day it actually happens?--well, YOU try doing it in a more timely fashion when your only options are posting at work where you practically sit in the reception area, or having to find the few moments when your boyfriend isn't already using his computer because your own is too old to run Blogger!) I was walking to the T on my way to work and a woman stopped me in the middle of an intersection (luckily one that seems to function mainly as a hang-out spot for off-duty buses) and totally floored me by what she said next. I thought she was about to ask me directions; instead, she said, "This is going to sound weird, but I pass you every day, and you have the best style!"

This was one of those times when I was too taken aback to come up with a good response. I think I burst out laughing--I mean, I think I
have a style, but I'm no fashionista--and then practically shouted "THANK YOU!" at her as we were starting to walk away. I really wish I'd said something nice to her in return for the compliment--at least wished her a good day. But we'd already moved apart, and by the time I realized that that would've been a more appropriate/polite response, it was too late. The funny thing is that despite what she said, I don't think I've seen her since. This has actually added a bit of stress to my morning commute, because what if I have seen her and didn't recognize her and therefore didn't acknowledge her, and she took that to mean that I'm aloof and unfriendly, or that I want to pretend the whole thing never happened? The truth is that I really don't remember exactly what she looked like--only that she was wearing a (blue?) beret-type hat, was shorter than me, and had (I think) long-ish light brown hair. (This shows that I'm not to be trusted ID-ing suspects in a police lineup, should I ever end up in that position.)

Anyway, on the three-billion-to-one chance that YOU happen to be that woman--you truly made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment