Wednesday, November 16, 2005

peoplewatching, again

Today on the T I saw a guy--a middle-aged guy who was clearly commuting to some type of office job--wearing a gold bow (the kind usually seen adorning Christmas packages) stuck on his forehead, along with a headband topped with reindeer antlers. If it had been less crowded and also if it weren't fundamentally out of character for me to strike up random conversations with strangers on the T, I would have asked him what it was all about. Was it a move calculated to inspire holiday spirit among those who saw him? Was it some sort of obscure protest against the hyper-commercialism of a sacred holiday? I was dying to know.

I'm very glad, though, that I wasn't the person who got accidentally "stabbed" in the head with the man's bizarrely inappropriate headgear as he was vacating his seat, even though he did say "sorry." Getting gored by a middle-aged man's antlers while commuting is not a situation that life has equipped me to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment